When building a message or template, you might come across a situation where you want to display an offer or image to the recipient based on their preferences or the demographic information you have collected on them.
Dynamic Content allows you to create IF/ELSE statements to help dictate which recipients will receive which pieces of content in the message.
1. Place the cursor where you'd like the dynamic content to appear OR select the content you'd like to replace with Dynamic Content statement.
2. Click the "Dynamic Content" button in the Editor Bar
3. Name the Dynamic Content section
- This will be used to show where it is in the template and for reporting later on.
4. Define the "IF" statement or copy logic from an existing Dynamic Content piece
- Select a field first, then an operator and then finally a value.
- You can also add in an AND statement or Create an OR group to help further target.
- For more information on targeting, visit the Segmentation article.
- Alert: If you copy from an existing Dynamic Content piece, it will overwrite any work you have done already in the Dynamic Content piece, so make sure to do this first.
5. Select the Content Type
The different content types are:
- Text - Text only, no formatting or styling can be defined. It will use the default styling of the section it is placed in.
- Image - Image only, no formatting or styling can be defined. It will use the default styling of the section it is placed in.
Block - This allows you to place an entire block of HTML code where the variable is placed.
- This allows for endless possibilities and you are able to use a Visual editor to make changes.
6. OPTIONAL: Define additional "ELSE IF" statements
- This will provide a new section with the same options as the IF statement.
- You will need to identify how to target contacts and provide content as well.
- You can add as many ELSE IF's as you like.
7. If required, define content for the "ELSE" statement
- The ELSE statement is the default option if the recipient of the message does not meet any of the IF or ELSE IF statements identified in the Dynamic Content.
- There is a 4th content type you can use for this statement.
- If you do not want anything shown when they do not meeting the IF/ELSE IF criteria, then keep the default option "Blank".
- Otherwise, you can select a content type and follow the same procedure.
8. Finally, click "Insert" to place the variable in the message or template
9. The Dynamic Content variable will appear in the template highlighted green
- By clicking on the variable, you can make edits to the Dynamic Content and update the variable with those edits.